Sunday, February 25, 2007

Honduras trip highlights 1

We've been back for 6 days and it feels like it's been a month already. It's snowing like mad outside and we could have more than a foot of the white stuff by tomorrow evening. Ugh! I still have bug bites on my feet that are itching. I'll have to tell more about that later...but let me just say...I don't think these are mosquito bites.


I tried this trip to take more photos of some of the cultural differences and ways of life in Honduras that differ from the US so I could write about them here on the blog and then you will know a little more about the world I'm heading to.

Let me just say first that I think the blood is finally starting to flow through my hands again. It was all that white knuckle driving. Sorry, I don't have a picture of this -ha ha. We took plenty of road trips in a very comfortable car that we rented. The car worked in perfect condition, Papa is a very good driver save for a bit of a temper at idiot drivers. It's everything outside the car that makes it hard to have a relaxing drive that many of us think of when driving to our favorite summer destinations up north or where ever. I could not let myself take a little doze because I had to keep my eyes on the road. I figure 4 eyes are better on the road than 2. Papa almost daily referred to me as his "co-pilot". One thing that is different about driving in San Pedro Sula at least is that you drive with one hand on the horn ready to sound at any car driving poorly and through most intersections- controlled or not. You see...you honk to alert others who might ignore traffic signs and signals that you are coming through.

Anyway...outside of the city one thing that actually works great for speed control are these patches of road that is not paved. You can be driving down a highway and suddenly come onto a small patch of dirt road...who knows why but I'm sure there is a reason the pavement skips. It could maybe only be 20-50 yards of road. These dirt roads can get very bumpy with potholes and these holes create a little means of income for some young boys.

I'll call them the pot-hole patchers.

Usually about 2 or 3 boys will stand at the unpaved road with their shovels stopping cars and asking for a few lempiras (Honduras currancy) for patching the holes. The thing is...I never actually saw them patching the holes. I think they are selective on how many and how well they patch the holes because if they did too good of a job, where would their source of income go? So they push a little dirt around, but never really finish the job.

No comments: