Sunday, November 16, 2008

Big, Hairy & Creepy Crawly

We had another wildlife encounter last night. We had some family over at the house for a little while last night and while the men were outside talking a tarantula came walking into our front yard. They spotted it and let us in the house know what they found. I ran to get the camera. We had 4 smaller children at the house so a few pictures were quickly taken and then papa once again was the hero and moved it out of the yard.

I don't know where these types of spiders usually live, but I've never seen one around here before or if it's common for them to in more developed areas. From what I read, these are not aggressive spiders and take a lot of provoking to bite. Still...they are big, hairy and mostly creepy crawly so I'm hoping I don't see one again around here.

If anyone knows more info about these type here in Honduras, feel free to share!

8 comments:

Mis.Pena the American said...

i hate spiders when i went to honduras thanks god i did not see any

Karine and Tom said...

We've seen several of these guys around La Ceiba- both in our yard and at school. Nobody seems to get too worked up about them being dangerous though...

Anonymous said...

Wow... ok this one got me. Usually I can handle most, but you are right this one is BIG and well I'm sure there are many different kinds of creatures down there.

Unknown said...

Great photo, Sprout! A few weeks ago there was a campy sci fi pic on TV about a giant tarantula that was eating people, swallowing towns, etc. Lots of fun on TV but not in the yard or the house! Yikes!

Unknown said...

Oh yes,in response to your twitter. ...today, I am fixing minestrone soup with ground beef added to it. Maybe your husband will like it. The soup has beans, noodles, veggies and a little ground beef for flavor. Maybe if you add a Honduran flair, like Honduran cheese and a side dish of tortillas, you husband will like it.

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

We had them in our house...yes IN our house in Trujillo this summer. Seemed every time I picked up a load of dirty clothes or something similar (warm, dark, damp) there was one of these lovely creatures. When I got home I read up a bit to learn that their bite is not a big deal- most compare it to that of a wasp sting...I say good riddance...the way they move alone creeps me out!

aighmeigh said...

um... terrifying!!!! eeeeek!

Ranty said...

eeeeeeeeeeeyiiiiiiiikes!